Backup and recovery of Google Contacts form part of our Google Workspace service offering.
For more on what functionality we support, click here.
- Note: To use the service, you need to be both a Redstor collection administrator, and a Google super administrator for your tenant organisation.
Use the guide below to manage your Google Contacts backups.
1. In the RedApp, locate the relevant customer name in the sidebar and click on it.
2. To add a new backup set, go to Google Workspace in the sidebar on the left.
3. Click Add at the top right.
4. Select Contacts and click Next.
5. On the permission card, click Next.
6. After logging into Google, you will see the following screen. Click on Get the Redstor app.
Note: If you are an existing customer, you will see a different screen, requiring to you update your permissions instead.
7. You will be taken to the Redstor Cloud Backup page on the Google Marketplace. Click on Domain Install.
8. Click Continue.
9. Agree to the terms and conditions and click Allow.
10. Click Done to exit the installation wizard.
As shown here, you can access the app at any time by going to the App Launcher at the top right of the screen. (Scroll down until you see Redstor Cloud Backup.)
11. Close the Google Marketplace tab in your browser to return to the RedApp. Our system will have picked up that permissions have been allowed and you will see a summary of your backup set.
When a new backup set is created, we include all users' contacts by default. To make changes to your backup set, go to Backup selection > Edit.
12. Select/deselect user(s) as needed, and click Save.
The Backup button will be enabled. Click it to start your first backup.
You can then monitor the progress of your backup at the top of the home page or under Notifications > Tasks.
You will receive a message under Notifications > Recent when the backup completes.
To see a complete history of your notifications and tasks, click See all.
You can customise which columns you see on the backup set home page by clicking on the columns icon..
You can also view an audit trail of all activities and which users performed them by clicking on the icon at the top right.
1. On the home page for the relevant Contacts backup set, click on Backup selection > Edit.
2. Select/deselect users(s) as needed and click Save. Click Backup to start a backup immediately, or go back to leave the new selection for the next scheduled backup.
3. The new number of users selected will be shown under Backup selection on the backup set's home page.
1. On the home page for the relevant Contacts backup set, click on Backup Schedule > Edit.
2. You can retain the default of a single daily backup, or you can set your backups to only run on specific days (custom). In either case, use the drop-down menu to set the backup time. Set your preferences and click on the check mark.
1. On the home page for the relevant Contacts backup set, locate the user whose contacts you wish to recover. Click on the menu icon and select Recover.
You can also select multiple contacts and click Recover at the bottom of the page.
To recover a single item (contact), first click on the menu icon and select Open to expand the relevant user.
Then drill down and make your selection. Click Recover when you are ready.
You can also select a specific backup date to recover, and then select All to recover everything from that backup.
2. When recovering, you can choose between the following options:
- New folder recovers the contacts to the label Redstor Restore on the user's Google Contacts page. The recovery timestamp will also be shown.
- Recover using InstantData generates a shareable link that can be used to recover contacts manually. Use the Copy option to share a link to the InstantData application, or Download the application immediately.
Run the application on the machine where you wish to recover the data. Select between Permanent and Temporary recovery, then simply drag and drop files from the application into your File Explorer to recover them.
To obtain the Google Contacts URL for a specific event, you can open the recovered file in a code editor.
Note: You will need to authenticate before any recovery. Original timestamps, metadata and permissions will not be restored.
In the case of a New folder recovery, you can monitor the progress of your recovery at the top of the home page or under Notifications > Tasks.
You will receive a message under Notifications > Recent when the recovery completes.
1. On the home page for the relevant Contacts backup set, click on the menu icon to expand more options, then click Remove.
2. Confirm the deletion by clicking Remove.
1. On the home page for the relevant Contacts backup set, click on the menu icon to expand more options, then click Rename.
2. Enter the new name for the backup set and click Update.