Redstor supports backup and recovery of OneNote files in OneDrive, SharePoint and Teams (including Class/Staff Notebooks in Teams for Education).
What are OneNote files?
A OneNote file (or Notebook) consists of multiple components that are separate from a back-end perspective, but present as one file in the UI. An individual Notebook may contain one or more section groups, sections, pages and/or attachments.
How are OneNote files protected?
Redstor backs up Notebooks as part of a backup selection in OneDrive, SharePoint or Teams. When we back up a Notebook, all components are retrieved as created by Microsoft to ensure full protection.
Notebooks as site assets in SharePoint
SharePoint site assets, including OneNote files, are protected.
Class/Staff Notebooks in Teams for Education
In Teams for Education, we protect the core content (section groups, sections, pages, and attachments) as well as the industry-specific information surrounding that content (e.g. the different permissions that teachers and students have to access specific sections).
Due to a Microsoft API limitation, accounts containing more than 5000 OneNote items cannot be backed up.
- Due to the way Microsoft's content distribution works, it may take up to an hour to access recovered Teams for Education content.
- The Class/Staff Notebook will be recovered, although the link between the Team and the Notebook will need to be established within Teams. To do this, click on Set up Class Notebook / Set up Staff Notebook, then follow the wizard, maintaining the defaults. This will not overwrite the setup of the existing Notebook.
How do I recover my OneNote files?
There are two ways to recover a Notebook.
- Recover to original location: A Notebook can be recovered back to its original location in the cloud. This is the recommended way to recover a Notebook. The separate file components are rebuilt into the original state of the Notebook so that it presents as a whole, as before. If the Notebook still exists, it will be overwritten. Watch our video here to learn more.
- Recover with InstantData: While Microsoft 365 typically allows downloading and syncing of files from the cloud to a local device to enable offline editing, they do not support this for OneNote since a Notebook is not a single file. A Notebook in offline mode is simply a shortcut to the online version. This affects our ability to recover with InstantData, which is an offline recovery mode. Instead of appearing as a single file, a Notebook that forms part of an InstantData recovery will appear as its individual parts, which will each need to be downloaded separately.
How do I get OneNote backup?
OneNote is available as part of Redstor’s Microsoft 365 Genius bundle.
Note: To use OneNote, you will need to grant Redstor certain permissions. This can be done in one of two ways:
1. On the banner on the Microsoft 365 Overview page, click on View backup sets and then Update permissions.
2. On the banner on the specific backup set's home page, click on Update permissions.