Our Enterprise Server Edition (ESE) agent helps you easily manage backups and restores. To use ESE on a Mac, you will need to deploy an agent for the machine and then install the agent on the machine. This article takes you through these steps.
Detailed requirements for installing an agent can be found here.
Deploying the agent
To install ESE, you will first need to deploy an agent. This will generate an installer file for you to use on the machine you intend to backup. You can obtain an installer file in one of two ways:
To deploy a macOS installer in the RedApp, follow these steps:
1. On the overview page for the relevant group (folder), click on Deploy at the top.
2. Select Mac as the operating system. Please note that Full System Backup is not currently supported on macOS.
3. Enter an encryption key of your choice (minimum 8 characters), or type anything into the key field and then click the refresh button to generate a random, secure key. In either case, store this key in a safe place.
Click Download agent to get the installer file for the backup agent. This installer file will be valid for 48 hours and you can use it on unlimited machines.
Installing the agent
Once you have your installer file, proceed with the steps below.
If your version of OSX does not allow the option to install software from outside sources, you will first need to run the following master command to enable the installation of the Agent.
sudo spctl --master-disable
You can then proceed as follows:
1. Run the following command, replacing <filename> with the installer executable's name.
chmod +x /<filename>
2. Run the installer. (You may need to add
sudo at the beginning.)
3. The operating system will display a notification that the app was not downloaded from the App Store. Click OK.
4. Allow the downloaded file under System Preferences > Security and Privacy > General and run the installer again.
5. In the introduction step, click Continue.
6. Select a destination and click Continue.
7. In the Installation Type step, click Install.
8. The installation will start. Provide your password at the prompt.
9. The installation is now complete. Review the summary regarding disk access permissions. Click Close to complete.
10. Launch the Redstor Pro ESE application by running
/Applications/Redstor Pro ESE.app/Contents/MacOS/backupprogui
from Terminal. Alternatively, using Finder, select Applications and run Redstor Backup ESE.
11. Provide your password to add your user as a backup administrator.
12. A confirmation will be shown.
13. Launch the ESE application. A prompt about full disk acccess permission will be displayed. Click Open System Preferences.
14. Go to Security & Privacy. Click on the Privacy tab, select Full Disk Access, and grant access to the Redstor ESE Agent.
15. From Terminal, run the following command to stop allowing third-party installations.
sudo spctl --master-enable
You are now ready to create an account and select files for backup. For more information on account creation, see Article 104 from Step 3 onwards.
- If during installation you see an error "Skipping an included folder...Operation not permitted", click here for help.
- Full System Backup in ESE is not supported on Mac.
- Converting from SE to ESE is not supported on Mac. We recommend installing ESE and creating a new backup account.
- If you encounter issues and require remote support from Redstor, use this guide for controlling Mac with TeamViewer.