The Storage Platform was architected from the perspective of a single owner, which means that in the past only top-level administrators would have a view of the StorageServer/s and MirrorServer/s for administration and reporting purposes. In cases where storage was owned by other parties, it was not possible for these parties to monitor their usage through the Storage Platform Management Console or to administer their accounts directly.
From v18.9, administration and reporting activities for customer-owned StorageServers and MirrorServers are no longer limited to top-level Storage Platform administrators only. A top-level administrator can assign view access to (a) collection administrator(s). To create a new collection administrator, open the Storage Platform Management Console in the User Access Management view. Right-click Access Users in the left-hand pane and click New Access User. You can also click the New User button on the toolbar.
The following dialog box will appear. Fill in the required fields and click Create.
Make sure that the View Storage checkbox is ticked so that the administrator will have viewing rights for disk usage on StorageServers and MirrorServers. Note that it is now compulsory to provide an e-mail address for each new collection administrator.
Collection administrators can:
- Add/remove groups/collections
- View mirroring status
- Set up automated account-moving behaviour
- Manually move accounts between groups/collections
- Generate storage- and mirroring-related reports
- View server diagnostics
- Specify the following reports to be e-mailed automatically:
- StorageServer Down report
- StorageServer Disk Space report
- Pool management notification
- Restart the StorageServer
Storage Pool administrators should not be able to perform the following tasks (which are for top-level platform admins only):
- Adding/removing StorageServers
- Changing StorageServer addresses
- Accessing mirroring, bindings or HSM settings
You can check/modify the storage pools in which a collection's accounts are allowed to reside by opening the Management Console in the Account Management view, then selecting right-click > Configure for the relevant collection.
You can also use this dialog box to specify the location for new accounts in a collection.