Before you begin
- Microsoft SQL Server and .NET need to be installed on the machine where you intend to host the Storage Platform. For a full list of the hardware and software requirements for installation, refer to the System Requirements and Compatibility Matrix.
- Antivirus software, while performing their intended defence operations, can corrupt critical files required for the backup application to work properly, and can even corrupt a backup process in progress. For this reason, we recommend excluding certain folders from antivirus scans (see Antivirus exclusions).
Installing the Storage Platform
- To install the Backup Pro Storage Platform on Windows, simply download and run the latest version's installer file.
- When presented with the Configuration Wizard, select Typical Configuration.
- Enter your activation key.
- Select the location where the backup data will be stored.
- Choose the SQL database to be used. You have the option to Use a local instance of SQL Server or Specify the connection strings manually. The latter, however, requires additional connection string information and is advised for advanced users only.
- Enter and confirm a master password for the Storage Platform and keep it in a safe place. It is strongly advised not to use this built-in administrator account for Console access. Instead, create separate users with admin rights for this purpose.
Note: This password will be the same for all components in the same Storage Platform installation (the StorageServer, AccountServer and Slave AccountServer, as well as any remote dedicated servers).
- Download and install the same version of the ESE Client Update as your Storage Platform.