If you're hosting your own Storage Platform, installing this platform will be the first step in getting your Redstor instance up and running. If you're making use of a Redstor managed platform, you can skip straight to installing a Management Console.
Before you begin
- Microsoft SQL Server and .NET need to be installed on the machine where you intend to host the Storage Platform. For a full list of the hardware and software requirements for installation, refer to the System Requirements and Compatibility Matrix.
- Antivirus software, while performing their intended defence operations, can corrupt critical files required for the backup application to work properly, and can even corrupt a backup process in progress. For this reason, we recommend excluding certain folders from antivirus scans (see Antivirus exclusions).
Installing the Storage Platform
1. To install the Backup Pro Storage Platform on Windows, simply download and run the latest version's installer file.
2. When presented with the Configuration Wizard, select Typical Configuration.
3. Enter your activation key.
4. Select the location where the backup data will be stored.
5. Choose the SQL database to be used. You have the option to Use a local instance of SQL Server or Specify the connection strings manually. The latter, however, requires additional connection string information and is advised for advanced users only.
6. Enter and confirm a master password for the Storage Platform and keep it in a safe place. It is strongly advised not to use this built-in administrator account for Console access. Instead, create separate users with admin rights for this purpose.
Note: This password will be the same for all components in the same Storage Platform installation (the StorageServer, AccountServer and Slave AccountServer, as well as any remote dedicated servers).
7. Download and install the same version of the ESE Client Update as your Storage Platform.
You will now need to install a Management Console that you can use to access your Storage Platform.