The snapshot export feature enables you to take data from the Storage Platform and make it available to an ESE Agent for restores using a mobile storage device.
This feature is useful when the amount of data to be transferred to the Agent is too large to transfer over the Internet within a limited time frame, or no data connection is available, e.g. in a disaster recovery scenario.
From v20.3, both Platform (top-level) administrators and StorageServer administrators are able to export restore snapshots. Collection administrators do not have this permission.
Note: You need physical access to the StorageServer to copy the restored data to your mobile storage.
How to export a restore snapshot
- In the Account Management view, expand the Account Management tree and select the name of the Collection/Group to which the Account belongs.
- Ensure that the Accounts tab is selected in the work area.
- In the list of Accounts, select the name of the Account for which you wish to export a Restore Snapshot.
- On the Accounts menu, point to Advanced, and then click Export Restore Snapshot. Alternatively, right-click the Account name, point to Advanced, and then click Export Restore Snapshot on the shortcut menu that appears.
- In the dialog box that appears, select a backup date to be restored from the drop-down menu.
- The encryption key needs to be in memory in order to create a synthetic full copy of the data and perform an export. If the key is in memory, the Encryption key box will not be displayed, and the snapshot export will be performed upon clicking OK as in Step 8 below. If the the Account has not backed up in the last 7 days and the encryption key is therefore not present in memory, you will need to enter it in the Encryption key box.
Note: Leaving this box blank will result in the restore snapshot being queued until the Agent performs its next backup.
- Click the Copy button to copy the snapshot restore location to the clipboard. Note this location down as you will need it later. The location path will be in the format (as an example)
Note: Ensure that your restore location has enough free space.
- Click OK. Once complete, the StorageServer Diagnostics window will log a “Snapshot Restore completed successfully” message.
- On the StorageServer machine, open Windows Explorer, paste the restore location (from Step 7) into the address bar (or navigate to it), then press Enter.
- Copy the snapshot and paste it into the desired location on your mobile storage device.
Note: On completion of the snapshot export, the Platform/Storage administrator needs to clean up any exported data copies manually to avoid impacting usable Platform storage.
You can now transfer the snapshot data from the storage device or server to another machine and import the backup information to the Agent, enabling the user to restore any/all files via the Restore tab. For more information, see Article 1270.