You can export a backup snapshot to a removable drive or to a UNC path.
How to export a snapshot to a removable drive
1. In the Backup Selection tab of the ESE Agent, select the data that you wish to protect. (To check the size of the backup once you have selected all the relevant data, click the Size button in the toolbar at the top.)
2. Insert a USB disk into the server or present it as a network share.
3. In the Agent, go to Tools > Snapshot > Export Backup Snapshot.
4. In the dialog box that appears, tick the box The next backup must be a Snapshot backup. To backup all the data from the Agent, also tick Force a full backup.
5. Select the USB or network share as the Location and click Backup Now.
6. Once the snapshot backup has finished, check the backup logs for any warnings or errors.
- When a removable drive containing a snapshot is sent to Redstor for upload to our data centre, the drive should not contain any data other than the Redstor backup data. Drives containing anything other than Redstor backup data will be returned to the sender. Please note that all courier costs are for the customer's account, and Redstor cannot be held responsible for delays in delivery on the courier's side.
- The backed-up account will be disabled and will report an error on any scheduled backups until the snapshot has been uploaded into the Redstor data centre.
- Snapshots are encrypted as standard as part of the backup process using AES 256bit.
How to export a snapshot to a UNC path
If you are using a virtual machine or cannot connect a removable drive, you can export to a UNC path. Depending on the configuration of the systems involved, you may need to configure Snapshot Export, or Snapshot Import, or both.
1. Configure your temporary Snapshot UNC location, ensuring that it has sufficient space for your snapshot.
2. Close the Agent and stop the service.
3. Change the service user to one that has full read/write access to the UNC path, as well as any files you have selected for backup.
4. Apply the changes and restart the service.
5. Open the Agent and navigate to Tools > Snapshot > Export Backup Snapshot.
6. In the Export Backup Snapshot dialog box, select The next backup must be a Snapshot backup and enter your UNC path into the Destination box. Click OK.
7. Manually initiate a backup or wait for the next scheduled backup to occur. If the user permissions for the UNC path are correctly configured, the snapshot will be exported there.