It is possible to migrate from an on-premises (self-hosted) Storage Platform to the Redstor (cloud) Storage Platform. This entails the moving of all backup account data as well as the AccountServer database from a self-hosted platform onto Redstor's platform, and then decommissioning the self-hosted platform.
Platform migration is a technical procedure that can only be performed by Redstor's team.
This article describes the requirements for migration and the steps the procedure entails.
- Migration requires commercial approval from Redstor. If you are considering migration, your first point of contact should be your account manager or a member of the sales team.
- Your technical staff (network, security, infrastructure) must be available throughout the changeover to ensure access to your systems and address any unforeseen challenges.
- We highly recommend performing data clean-up prior to the changeover. Removing unused data and/or folder structures will speed up migration.
The minimum requirements for using Redstor's Storage Platform can be found in our System Requirements and Compatibility Matrix.
Backup of AccountServer database
You will need to backup the relevant AccountServer database to Redstor's Storage Platform using the SQL view in ESE. The encryption key for this backup account must be shared with the Redstor team assigned to you. Charges incurred by this backup account will be waived.
Access during changeover
- You will need to have TeamViewer installed on the relevant machine for the purposes of remote support.
- The user that is logged into the relevant machine must have a local administrator role, as well as a sysadmin role for SQL Server.
- The administrator password for the relevant Storage Pool will need to be shared with the Redstor team assigned to you.
- You will need to provide us with a copy of the AccountServer's Reports and ReportTemplates directories (default location C:\ProgramData\Attix5 Pro\AS_Service).
- Your Redstor team lead will need Storage Platform (Top Level) Admin permissions for the Storage Platform Console.
Firewall, security and network configuration
- DNS needs to be configured to direct traffic to Redstor's Storage Platform at the time of changeover. The TTL can be updated to the desired value after the changeover has been completed. We recommend a TTL of 15 minutes.
- All endpoints that are expected to communicate with Redstor's Storage Platform must be open for outbound traffic to the IP ranges and ports listed in our Network Requirements for the following services (depending on customer's location):
- Account Server
- Primary Storage
- Secondary Storage
Storage folder structure
- The folder structure of the source and target platforms should be identical and should be compatible with the RedApp. The required folder structure is shown here.
- Group paths for report schedules should be updated via SQL query after the folder structures have been updated as per point 1. Our team will assist with this step and with the required database update.
Redstor Operations can provide guidance or further information to aid in the completion of any documentation needed for change control or planning, should this be required by your internal protocols.
Migration can take place only after all of the above prerequisites have been met. If any prerequisites are still incomplete one week before the scheduled changeover, the changeover may be postponed. Our support engineers reserve the right to postpone or terminate the changeover at their discretion.
Changeover typically proceeds as follows:
1. Migration of backup data
- Attach migration StorageServer instance to source platform.
- Move backup data to migration StorageServer instance.
- Stop and disable source platform’s services.
- Backup source database.
- Extract source database information and merge to Redstor database.
- Detach storage instances from source platform and attach to Redstor's platform.
- Apply necessary profiling and other configuration.
- Implement DNS change to redirect AccountServer traffic to Redstor's platform.
3. Testing and monitoring
- Immediate check to see if changeover was successful.
- Redstor team monitors backups for 3 days after changeover.
Risk and impact
- The Redstor team has experience in performing migrations of this nature and the process is considered low-risk. The team includes a site reliability engineer as well as a technical lead.
- Backup and recovery services will remain available throughout the changeover, except for the period between the stoppage of AccountServer services and the propagation of the CNAME configuration.
- It is recommended that Console users and clients use Redstor's Storage Platform DNS after changeover. Where a CNAME is configured for the existing DNS address, access will continue to work after the changeover, although some functionality may behave differently to expected or may not work at all.
- A degraded service state is expected during changeover. A smooth migration takes about 90 minutes, with StorageServer services minimally affected and disruption concentrated around AccountServer services. We suggest setting aside a 3-hour window for the migration and advising that service will be disrupted during this time.