There are two ways to connect to an ESE Agent remotely:
From the RedApp
For a RedApp user to be able to connect to an Agent remotely, remote access must be allowed during Agent deployment.
When configuring the Agent settings as part of deployment, make sure the option for Remote access is switched on.
Once the agent is installed on a machine, you can open a remote connection to that machine any time, and from anywhere, as long as the machine is on/powered.
To remotely access a machine from the RedApp, click the menu to the right of the machine listing and go to Download remote agent.
You will need to download and execute the provided .exe file to create a secure tunnel to the agent. You can then trigger backups, manage files, etc. as if you were physically using the machine.
From the Storage Platform Console
For a Console user to be able to connect to an Agent remotely, remote access must first be allowed in the Agent itself. Once the setting is enabled, a secure tunnel created through the account's StorageServer allows the Console to connect to the Agent.
To enable remote access in the Agent:
1. Click on Options in the toolbar at the top and then on Remote Access in the sidebar on the left.
Note: For the Linux ESE Agent, this setting can also be enabled using the command line. See this article for details.
2. Enable Allow remote control of this Backup Client.
3. Choose the appropriate access option:
- Storage Platform controlled: a user that is logged in to the Storage Platform Console can connect remotely without entering a password.
- Custom Password: a user that is logged in to the Console will need an additional password to connect remotely. If selecting this option, you will need to set a password before you can proceed.
4. Click OK.
Once you have allowed remote access, you can open the Console and start the remote Agent from an ESE account (or by using the Remote button on the toolbar at the top).
Note: This requires the same Agent Update and Brand Update versions as those currently used by the account's remote Agent to be installed.
- Multiple connections are allowed, but not recommended.
- It is possible to connect to Windows or Linux Agents.
- No additional firewall rules are required.
- This setting in the Agent cannot be profiled.
Warning: Do not disable the setting in the remote Agent while a remote connection is active.
Article is closed for comments.