For a Console user to be able to connect to an Agent remotely, remote access must first be allowed in the Agent itself. Once the setting is enabled, a secure tunnel created through the account's StorageServer allows the Console to connect to the Agent.
To enable remote access in the Agent:
1. Click on Options in the toolbar at the top and then on Remote Access in the sidebar on the left.
Note: For the Linux ESE Agent, this setting can also be enabled using the command line. See this article for details.
2. Enable Allow remote control of this Backup Client.
3. Choose the appropriate access option:
- Storage Platform controlled: a user that is logged in to the Storage Platform Console can connect remotely without entering a password.
- Custom Password: a user that is logged in to the Console will need an additional password to connect remotely. If selecting this option, you will need to set a password before you can proceed.
4. Click OK.
Once you have allowed remote access, you can open the Console and start the remote Agent from an ESE account (or by using the Remote button on the toolbar at the top).
Note: This requires the same Agent Update and Brand Update versions as those currently used by the account's remote Agent to be installed.
- Multiple connections are allowed, but not recommended.
- It is possible to connect to Windows or Linux Agents.
- No additional firewall rules are required.
- This setting in the Agent cannot be profiled.
Warning: Do not disable the setting in the remote Agent while a remote connection is active.