Storage Pools enable automated account moves between StorageServers (SS) on a Backup Pro Storage Platform, effectively balancing the storage load between the different SSs and reducing the administrative overhead involved with manual account moves.
Whilst these automated moves are highly effective for ordinary operation, you may encounter a scenario where you need to prevent accounts from being moved to an SS, or empty it completely for example, if migrating or decommissioning server hardware, or if space is required to perform a large Snapshot import.
A. Preventing Accounts from being moved to an SS
To prevent accounts from being moved to an SS:
- Create a new Storage Pool
- Move the SS to this Pool using the Change Storage Pool option for the SS.
With the SS running in isolation in a Storage Pool, no accounts will be automatically moved to it.
B. Emptying a StorageServer
To empty the StorageServer:
- Find the relevant Accounts by using the "Accounts on SS" report on the StorageServer:
- Right-click an Account and select Change StorageServer:
- In the window that appears, select the new StorageServer to move the Account to, and click OK
With the SS running in isolation, no automatic moves will take place to re-balance the server as you empty it.
Tip: You can also move Accounts to a Group configured to use a specific StorageServer that runs in isolation (as indicated above).