In the ESE Data Management Agent, there is a number of views (see below) from which you can select data for backup. You can also simply use our Full System Backup feature. For a video on backup selection and how backups work, see this video guide. You can start a backup at any time by clicking the Backup button, or schedule backups according to your needs.
By default, the Agent will open in the Files view, which is used for managing file-level backup selection.
- Expand the drives and folders in the tree on the left to see their contents. Use right-click > Include or Exclude to determine what should be backed up.
- To select a file or folder for backup, click its icon in the workspace on the right, or simply double-click its name.
- The item's icon will change colour based on whether it is included in the backup selection (green) or excluded from it (red).
Use the Network view to backup shared volumes. Note that only fixed and network drives can be backed up. Removable media cannot be backed up.
- If you need help adding your first network share, click here.
- To add another volume, select the network and click Add Network Volume.
- To modify an existing volume, select it and click Remove or Edit as required.
- Use the SQL view to manage your SQL database backup selection.
System State view
- Use the System State view to manage your system state backup selection, e.g. the registry or boot files.
- Use the Exchange view to manage your Exchange mail backup selection.
Note: We now offer a cloud-to-cloud backup service for Exchange Mail.
- Use the Hyper-V view to manage backups of your Hyper-V virtual machines.
- Use the SIMS, FMS and Discover views to manage your Education Software Solutions (ESS) backups.