- ESE: To ensure your SIMS (Schools Information Management System) databases are healthy, we do a database check on each database before they are backed up.
- ESE: To ensure a secure and uninterrupted service, we defensively monitor stored account settings for corruption or malicious modification.
- ESE: The TLS version (1.0 - 1.3)
- for Email Notifications can be set when enabling 'Encrypt Connection (STARTTLS)'
- SP: The data verification feature introduced in v18.12, will be enabled by default from v19.11.
- ID: Improved the Full System Recovery wizard for a more user friendly experience.
- Cloud: To prevent unauthorised restores and access to restored data, we now prompt for the Microsoft tenant admin credentials for each restore request.
- Control Centre (preview): Additional columns added: Data not selected, Storage optimisation and Data protection.
- ESE: When rehydrating stubs, the Agent will now continuously monitor the free disk space, and abort when a default threshold of 1GB is reached.
- ESE: The Automate button on the toolbar is now the Schedule button.
- ESE: VSS-related warning and error messages now include more information to assist you in resolving issues.
- ESE: A menu item and shortcut have been added for InstantData (also accessible through Alt+F > Alt+I).
- ESE: Insight improvements: Scan tasks will be run in the background from now on to enable users to perform backup or restore tasks at the same time.
- ESE: Insight improvements: The scan progress can be seen or cancelled by hovering over the notification at the bottom right of your screen.
- ESE: Insight improvements: We no longer take VSS snapshots, eliminating VSS-related errors and allowing for the support of previously unsupported volumes like clusters.
- SPC: The Convert to ESE format option is now disabled when an Account is already in ESE format.
- ID: Bare Metal Recovery is even easier than before, with a built-in prompt that will point out if any of the required parameters are missing from the command-line.
- ID: We now deduplicate Full System Recoveries.
- Control Centre (preview): We have improved the Control Centre's styling, tooltips, loader icon, and drag-and-drop gestures.
- Control Centre (preview): New to the Control Centre? When you log in for the first time, you will see a welcome screen and have the option to take a tour.
- Control Centre (preview): We now provide more detail and suggest actions when a Group or Collection has no information to offer yet.
- Control Centre (preview): Options can now be found in a single, expandable menu.
- Control Centre (preview): The Add Group/Collection and Add Account dialogs have been replaced with side navigation panes.
- ESE: To facilitate Full System Recoveries, the InstantData Service can now be installed and configured during backup.
- ESE: If our Insight feature is enabled on a Group, a Scan button will be displayed on the toolbar in the Agents in that Group.
- ESE: Our Profiling functionality boasts two new features - Expand inclusions that contain %DRIVES% on Windows and profiled exclusion containing a wildcard character before a path separator, will not be applied.
- ESE: To assist customers in investigating access-related issues, the Agent logs will now show which user the service was running as when a task or issue occurred.
- ESE: When a VSS snapshot is created during a backup, a list of all available VSS providers will be logged to assist in troubleshooting and support.
- ESE: InstantData is now accessible from the toolbar when the Restore tab is open.
- SP: It is now possible to set a default account size when configuring a Collection. This size will also be used as the default account size when creating a Group within this Collection.
- SPC: To accommodate our ever-growing list of new features, there is now a Features tab in the configuration dialog. The Licences tab now lists onlyplugins and agent licences.
- SPC: Additional enhancements have been made to the Classic User view under User Access Management.
- Cloud: We’ve launched cloud-to-cloud data management for Office 365! Backup and protect all your Mail, OneDrive and SharePoint data directly from Microsoft’s cloud to the Redstor cloud, all through an intuitive web interface. Read more here.
- Control Centre (preview): A new card shows which machines currently contain stale data, i.e. data that has not been accessed in 12 months or more.
- Control Centre (preview): To assist with space management, there is also a new card which shows volumes that are nearing capacity.
- Control Centre (preview): A third new card shows the most common file extensions present on every machine, sorted by number of files.
- ESE: We now offer support for DHCP Jet Writer during system state restores.
- ESE: When downloading the latest Linux Agent update, an automatic disk space check will now be performed on /tmp first.
- ESE: To simplify configuration on Linux, the Oracle view will now be displayed by default.
- ESE: If you have a proxy configured in ESE, the remote tunnel will now use these configuration details for remote access.
- ID: Full System Recovery now supports restore to Azure (available for preview).
- ID: There is now an option in FSR for disabling the backup service on the restored machine.
- ID: We've made it easier to for you to monitor the progress of a Full System Recovery.
- ID: A Full System Recovery will now failover to the MirrorServer if the StorageServer is not available.
- Web Console: (available for preview) Our Web Console has been renamed the Control Centre.
- Web Console: Various improvements have been made to the interface.
- Web Console: You can now press Shift+click on the report icon to download your table content in CSV format.
- ESE: Automatically exclude USB drives from Full System Backup.
- ESE: On older systems you can select to use legacy directory traversal to revert to an older browsing mechanism to browse and backup network shares.
- ESE: You can now set the gathering of system information during backup to time out after a period of time (default is five minutes).
- ESE: Files can now be rehydrated from the user interface even if Archiving is not yet configured.
- ESE: Additional script points have been exposed under Options and Settings > Backup Scripts.
- ESE: You can now specify certain files to always be patched, regardless of whether they have been modified.
- SP: Storage Pool admins are now able to manage Pools by adding or removing StorageServers or MirrorServers to their Pool.
- SP: Your choice of failure mode for CBT can now be set using Profiling.
- ID: Full System Recovery now supports recovery to Azure (available in preview).
- Web Console: (available for preview) Mass deployment - support for Linux
- ESE: The System report is now a single html file.
- ESE: Improved support for Linux LVM snapshots - only snapshot volumes with data included for backup.
- ESE: To assist in troubleshooting, the Storage Server version will now be included in the backup log.
- SP: Identity and Access Management (in preview on the Redstor UK platform only)
Collection, Top-Level or Storage Platform admins with tenant access can now switch a Classic User to a Tenant User.
- SP: The MirrorDue report has been refined to provide more accurate information.
- ID: InstantData Bare Metal Recovery (out of preview)
- Our Web Console for Redstor Platform customers is now available for preview.
- ESE: You will now see a warning when a symlink is included in a backup, but not its target.
- ESE: A menu item for System Report generation has been added.
- ESE: Brand support information can now be customised.
- SP: Identity and Access Management is now in preview (on the Redstor UK platform only)
- SP: It is now possible to convert SE accounts to ESE even if auto updates are disabled.
- SP: Automatic verification will run after an SE-to-ESE conversion completes.
- SP: Brand support information can now be customised under Profiling.
- SPC: Column customisations can now be saved.
- ID: We now offer transparent proxy support for Full System Recovery in InstantData.
- Cloud: You will now be prompted for confirmation before a restore starts.
- ESE: InstantData can now be launched directly from ESE.
- ESE: When a VSS error occurs, the backup will now retry once before failing.
- ESE: Oracle Java has been replaced with OpenJDK in our development environment.
- SP & SPC: Various security improvements have been made. Consoles older than v19.4 will no longer be supported.
- Cloud: There is a new, improved flow for backup set configuration.
- Cloud: We now offer backup and restore of subsites in SharePoint. You can also include Image and Asset libraries in backups.
- ESE: We now offer changed block tracking (CBT).
- ESE: LVM snapshots now also work with XFS filesystems and RHEL 6.3 and up.
- ESE: Logging of VSS writer IDs for Full System Backup has been improved.
- SP: We have improved Collection and Storage Admin permissions.
- SP: The backup variance report has new, more descriptive labels.
- SPC: Various security and stability improvements have been made.
- SPC: We have added a new look-and-feel when adding and connecting to a Storage Platform.
- SPC: When a Standby AccountServer is configured, both the main AccountServer and the Standby AccountServer will now be listed under the AccountServers node.
- ID: InstantData Bare Metal Recovery is now available for preview.
- Cloud: We have reduced backup failures through enhanced redundancy.
- ESE: It is now possible to install multiple ESE clients to run in parallel on different software versions.
- SP: StorageServer assignment for new accounts can now be randomised.
- SP: You can now run a backup variance report on a specific group.
- SP: An additional setting has been added to the StorageServer to enable the sending of mirror events to the AccountServer even when no data has been mirrored.
- ID: It is now possible to do a Full System Restore from a local copy located on a network share.
- ESE: Changed block tracking (CBT) is now available for preview.
- ESE: We have improved the error messages that appear when the Archiving service attempts to connect to a server other than a StorageServer.
- ESE: We now support dynamic hostnames when restoring SQL databases.
- ESE: There is now an updated support bundle which returns additional backup metadata.
- ID: We now offer Full System Restore of extended partitions.
- ESE: We are introducing a new built-in system state backup and restore functionality to replace Windows Image Backup.
- ESE: Inclusions added via Profiling are now listed in the backup log.
- ESE: Additional enhancements have been made to the System Report.
- ESE: During a conversion from SE/DL to ESE, the logs will now be moved to the default ESE log location.
- ESE: Various improvements have been made to the tray upgrade process.
- SPC: The maximum limit for the Default Account Size during group creation has been increased from 10 TB to 64 TB.
- SP: When an encryption key is not present while running a snapshot import, the related task will be updated with the message "Encryption key not available, retry later". This message will also be displayed in the Console's Activity view.
- ID: InstantData now has a new look and feel.
- ID: The Full System Restore application for InstantData no longer requires elevated privileges to be run.
Cloud to Cloud
Protect all the Office 365 data within your organisation, directly from Microsoft’s cloud to the Redstor cloud, all through an intuitive web interface. You can:
- Backup your users’ OneDrive and SharePoint content.
- Restore content directly back into the Cloud or locally using InstantData.
- Set up convenient backup schedules for queueing backups.
- Automatically add and backup new users or sites.
- Automatically add new users for a specific department.
- ESE: We now offer logical volume management (LVM) Snapshots for Linux.
- ESE: The backup and restore log now includes the Operating System details.
- ESE: Various enhancements have been made to the System Report.
- ESE: The Backup system info as metadata option has been removed from Options > Advanced and is now permanently enabled.
- SP: A profiling option has been added for LVM.
- SP: InstantData can now display backups made on Linux.
- ESE: Significant performance improvements have been made to the service when backing up numerous files in a single folder.
- ESE: The Restore view has been updated to accommodate a new reporting functionality.
- ESE: The new System Report functionality makes it possible to see the backup selection for any given date.
- ESE: The system information from the time of the backup (OS, installed software, installed updates and hot fixes) can now be included as part of the backup selection.
- ESE: You can now manually check for and view the update process via Help > Update.
- SP: We now offer basic OVF support for Full System Restore.
- ESE: We now offer backup of Oracle databases with RMAN integration.
- ESE: You can now verify your encryption key with a built-in utility.
- ESE: During remote access, the account name is now added to the title bar to help identify which account you are connected to.
- ESE: You can now improve your backup selection using the environment variable %USERPROFILE% in profiled inclusions and exclusions.
- ESE: The system tray menu options Backup Now and Cancel Backup will now be disabled when the Client is set to prompt for a password.
- ESE: It is now possible to prevent certain users from seeing the ESE system tray via a registry key.
- ESE: You can now use Profiling to suppress missing file or folder errors for profiled inclusions.
- ESE: An improved backup analysis - used by the Overview report - now provides more details on errors.
- ESE: You can now send 'Hostname' and 'Next Backup Time' to the AccountServer.
- ESE: We have added support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 as well as additional Linux enhancements.
- SP: You can now perform an InstantData Full System Restore directly into VMWare.
- SPC: "Add Group or Collection" has a new layout and more options.
- SPC: A new "View storage" role has been added for Collection admins to administer their own StorageServers.
- SPC: New columns have been added to show the ESE backup client hostname and next backup time.
- ESE: It is now possible to backup Oracle databases with RMAN integration (available for preview).
- ESE: Built-in system state backup and restore functionality now replaces Windows Image Backup (available for preview).
- ESE: You can now backup and restore your Hyper-V virtual machines on Windows Server 2012.
- ESE: There is now a Minimal folder structure option for restoring.
- ESE: We now offer enhanced script security.
- ESE: A warning notification will now be presented on Full System Backup of an ReFS volume.
- ESE: It is now possible to backup the Boot Configuration Database.
- ESE: You now have the option to restore workspace configuration on reconnecting to an account.
- ESE: Improvements have been made to Backup Client security and performance with Java updated to 1.8.0_172.
- SP: Improved IntegrityCheck functionality means no more blocking of backups or restores during data verification.
- SP: For ESE v18.8 and higher, there are now more profiling options.
- SP: We now offer support for multiple security certificates.
- ESE: You can now backup and restore your Hyper-V virtual machines on Windows Server 2012 (available for preview).
- ESE: We now make use of a new backup payload connection based on a new networking core over plain sockets (updated and available for preview).
- ESE: VSS SQL is now supported during SE to ESE conversion.
- ESE: We now offer automatic service port selection.
- ESE: An improved Client updater will ensure the service stops and starts successfully during an update.
- ESE: The Client will detect if the user is on a metered data connection and a warning will be shown.
- ESE: A browsing dialog has been added in Archiving Settings to simplify the inclusion and exclusion of folders.
- SP: You can now convert ReFS volumes to NTFS during Full System Restore.
- SP: The MirrorServer will try now to recover files from the StorageServer for SE/DL accounts (previously ESE only).
- SPC: New columns have been added to the Storage Platform configuration view to list all connected StorageServers and MirrorServers.
- ESE: Backups will no longer fail due to an offline MS SQL database.
- ESE: You can now manage SQL and Exchange offline databases.
- ESE: When an excluded file is deleted from the system, the file will now be listed as offline in the Backup selection view.
- ESE: The default restore path on Windows has been changed to C:\Restore.
- ESE: During SE to ESE conversion, a backup will automatically start once the ESE upgrade is complete.
- ESE: The user interface for moving a Local Backup Copy to a new location has been updated.
- ESE: You can now view a file/folder in Windows Explorer.
- ESE: The command-line interface for Linux ESE includes new arguments and commands.
- ESE: We now offer support for CentOS 7 (32- and 64-bit).
- ESE: Folder navigation is now simpler thanks to breadcrumbs in the Backup and Restore Files view.
- ESE: You can now add a prefix to the subject of email notifications.
- ESE: It is now possible to configure network shares on which to skip files if they have the offline attribute.
- ESE: We have improved SIMS logging during backup.
- ESE: You can now move the Local Backup Copy to a new location.
- SP: Warning messages for ESE Client and Brand Updates that are not sent to the backup client will now be logged in the StorageServer log.
- SP: Conversion from DL to ESE is now possible for 32- and 64-bit operating systems.
- SPC: The Storage Pool tree view in the Storage Platform Configuration has been enhanced.
- SPC: You can now move a Collection to another Collection.
- ESE: A Close Session button has been added to backup progress window in Remote Access.
- ESE: You can now keep system state backups based on user settings.
- ESE: We have improved our Service (tray) messages.
- ESE: When using Archiving, Calculate Savings will log out files to stub and to rehydrate.
- ESE: We now make use of an advanced open file detection driver.
- SPC: The Storage Platform Console and Reports have been updated with the new Redstor Pro branded images.
- SP: The MirrorServer will now try to recover files from the StorageServer.
- SP & SPC: You can now create Groups with a Storage Limit of zero for quick Group creation.
- ESE: Redstor Backup Pro is now Redstor Pro
- ESE: ESE now supports 32-bit Windows.
- ESE: ESE has a new System Tray application that makes use of a REST interface.
- ESE: Items that are globally excluded will now be logged in the backup log.
- ESE: We have made various Archiving improvements.
- ESE: You can now retry the backup once if it fails due to a VSS error condition.
- ESE: The backup payload connection can now be based on a new networking core over plain sockets (available for preview).
- SP: It is now possible to do concurrent automatic account moves.
- SP: SE to ESE conversion now supports 32-bit operating systems.
- SP: The Storage Platform now requires .Net Framework 4.6.1.
- SPC: Consoles older that v18.1 will no longer be able to connect to a v18.3 or later Storage Platform.
- ESE: We now offer Archiving.
- ESE: The views icons - Files, SQL, Network etc - will now turn green when selected.
- ESE: We now do patching of always-open files, e.g.: MongoDB database files.
- ESE: Files and folders are now skipped based on their reparse points.
- SP: New reports will improve the visibility of a mirror's status.
- SPC: You can now create a read-only Console user, which is useful for sale and accounting users that require view only access.
- SP: You can host your own TLS certificate and alternative port on the AccountServer and StorageServer for use with the Storage Platform API.
- ID: InstantData (Permanent) now supports millions of files.
- ID: You can now do a Full System Restore from Local Copy backups.
- ID: It is now possible to exclude or resize volumes during a Full System Restore.
- ESE: If an error occurs, the VSS snapshot will now retry instead of immediately failing the backup.
- ESE: You can now select the VSS provider to use for backup via profiling.
- ESE: Staged and Streaming Backups are now logged separately on the StorageServer and ESE backup logs.
- SPC: You can now set the Storage Platform Console to auto update.
- SPC: It is now possible to manually initiate an ESE auto update from the Console.
- SP: When an ESE update is sent to a backup account, the version and brand will be now recorded in the StorageServer log.
- SP: The MirrorServer is now more robust.
- SP: A new data verification task has been added to the MirrorServer and will run daily, scanning all the backup indexes.
The following important issues were fixed:
- ESE: v17.9 - v17.11 ESE Brand only updates break the service
- ESE: You can now select which VSS provider to use for backup.
- ESE: You now have the option to specify how many index copies to keep locally to reduce disk space requirements.
- ESE: If a non-existent dump path is specified for SIMS, the validation process will create the path.
- ESE: Underlying security and performance improvements have been made to the Backup Client with Java updated to 1.8.0_152.
- ESE: The Options dialog automatically adjusts to fit low-resolution displays and show scroll bars when required.
- ESE: It is now possible to copy account information from Options or Help > About.
- SP: Transparent Proxy Support is nou available for Full System Recovery in InstantData.
- SP: We have added notifications and automatic downloading of new Storage Platform updates.
The following important issues were fixed:
- ESE: 'Device is not ready' & 'Path not found' due to incorrect VSS provider
- ESE: You can now connect to a Slave AccountServer when the AccountServer is down.
- ESE: Restores from Local Backup Copy no longer require a connection to the Storage Platform.
- ESE: Issues with the displaying of a folder with many subfolders have been fixed.
- ESE: Backing up of hard links to files that are already backed up will not transmit data to the Storage Platform.
- ESE: When converting from SE to ESE, the SE Remote Management and SE System State (using WSB) plug-ins will now be transferred.
- ESE: Windows Image Backups are now allowed if Full System Backup is enabled.
- SP: Remote connections from the SP Console are now tracked for auditing purposes.
- SP: The AccountServer will now detect if SQL Server 2005 or 2008 is running and will recommend upgrading in a warning message in the logs.
- SPC: The option to remove all the mirrored accounts when deleting a MirrorServer has been removed.
- v17.10 is primarily a bug fix release
- ESE: File-level resumption during a restore is now possible.
- ESE: During conversion from SE to ESE, the SE Staged Backup setting will become Transfer Deduplication in ESE.
- ESE: The default value for 'Number of backup or restore retries' has been increased to 300.
- ESE: The list of Backup dates on the Restore tab is now longer for easier selection.
- SPC: You can now initiate an ESE backup from the Console without logging in via Remote Access.
- SP: Security has been improved with login delays for failed login attempts.
- SP: IntegrityCheck reports in the SP Console have a new format (navigate to Reports > Enterprise > Other).
- ESE: It is now possible to do backup transfer deduplication.
- ESE: Windows Image Backup (WIB) can now be limited to perform a System State only backup.
- SP: The Group Overlimit report has a new format.
- ESE: Backup progress now also shows transfer speed and estimated time to completion.
- ESE: Accounts exceeding their size limit or Group “overspill” percentage will get a warning log message when the backup starts.
- SPC: The Collection and/or Group size can now be set to Automatic, which means the limit will be inherited from the parent node.
- SPC: The “Manage Updates” function will now upgrade selected StorageServers in separate Storage Pools in parallel, but sequentially within the same Pool.
- SP: Mirroring of dormant Accounts (not actively backing up for some time) is now possible.
- ESE: Remote connections to ESE Clients are now possible.
- ESE: A new Linux version of the ESE Client is now available.
- SP: You can now upload multiple Snapshots.
- SPC: Remote connections to ESE Clients are now possible.
- SP: Full System Backup is profileable for ESE.
- SP: It is now possible to override the AccountServer address through profiling, and support has been added for Mac Backup Clients (SE and DL).
The following important issues were fixed:
- ESE: Windows de-duped files not backed up correctly
- SE/DL: Unable to restore in SE with error "Please create a new Backup Account..."
- ESE: The SIMS plug-in now supported as part of conversion from SE to ESE.
- ESE: It is now possible to restore backups from an alternate server, e.g. a MirrorServer.
- SP: Soft limits can now be applied to StorageServer disk usage.
- ID: Full System Backups of Windows Server 2008 R2 physical servers can now be recovered (with InstantData FSR) as Hyper-V VMs.
- ESE: You will now be prompted for password when opening the GUI or viewing the Restore tab.
- ESE: The Backup, Restore and Local Copy progress windows have been improved.
- ESE: Network utilisation/throttling can now be adjusted while a backup is in progress.
- ESE: Snapshot exports and imports with network shares now also support authentication credentials.
- ESE: The information in Windows "Programs & Features" will now update after an auto-upgrade from SE to ESE.
- ESE: The restore log now also shows the backup date that is being restored.
- ESE: The service logs have been moved to the ESE logs folder.
- ESE: We now offer support for Windows Server 2016.
- SP: It is now possible to customise ProfileableOptions.xml to persist between Storage Platform upgrades.
- SP: The SQL query for the MirrorsDue report has been improved.
- SP: InstantData Full System Recovery will now log the detected boot firmware (UEFI/BIOS) of the backed-up system (Server 2012 and up).
The following important issues were fixed:
- ESE: ESE - C: drive missing in backup selection
- ESE: Local Backup Copy: In some cases the Client cannot log into the network location
- ESE: Local Backup Copy: Sends full backup to SP after account reconnect
- ESE: Local Backup Copy: Fails with error, "Base entry not found"
- ESE: It is now possible to do a silent install of ESE Backup Client (similar to SE).
- ESE: You will now be prompted for user credentials during network shares that require authentication.
- ESE: The Logs tab has been improved.
- SPC: The SP Console has been updated with new icon styling.
- SP: The default value for backgroud cleanup on the StorageServer is now set to "False".
- SP: A Snapshot Import no longer needs a userkey if the datakey is in the cache.
- ESE: The Local Backup Copy feature sees various enhancements, including the ability to keep multiple local backups.
- SP: The "ManageSmallFile" task will pause instead of blocking ESE backups and restores.
- SP: ESE Client restores will no longer be blocked during roll-ups.
- SP: An attempt will be made to recover small files in a corrupted container during an Integrity Check.
- SP: The AccountServer and StorageServer services will be set to 'Delayed Start' after a reboot to ensure reliable startup.
- SP: Security for Remote Management communications to v16.12 SE Backup Clients (or later) has been improved.
- SPC: A filter functionality has been added to the Access Users list and Activity view.
- SPC: Automatic scrolling of activity logs can now be disabled for easier viewing.
The following important issues were fixed:
- ESE: Backup fails with error "Backup Failed: Index:65890, Size 65536"
- ESE: For known Storage Platform addresses, the proxy server will now be bypassed.
- ESE: You can now configure a proxy in the Account Wizard.
- ESE: The speed of the first backup after conversion to ESE has been improved.
The following important issues were fixed:
- SP: Backup Snapshot Import: Unable to import link to non-existent file
- ESE: Could not create snapshot for 'ADFS VSS Writer'