Archiving reduces disk usage on a backed-up machine by removing data that is rarely accessed. For a detailed overview of Archiving, see Article 1073.
Watch our how-to video below, or read on for more detailed instructions.
How to activate Archiving
1. Obtain an Archiving licence for your Storage Platform.
Note: If you are running your own Storage Platform, please contact email@example.com to start this process. Otherwise, contact your Redstor reseller.
2. Once an Archiving licence is present on the Storage Platform, enable Archiving for each relevant collection/group. You can do this by ticking the Archiving checkbox in the Licences tab of the Storage Platform Management Console.
If the Archiving checkbox is not visible for a particular collection/group, make sure that it is checked at the highest level to which you have access. If it is not visible at all, please contact your Redstor reseller for support.
3. As soon as Archiving is licenced for a particular group, an Archive button will appear in the toolbar of the relevant ESE client.
- Archiving is only suitable for Storage Platforms that are configured with MirrorServers accessible to the client. In most cases, this means they have public IP addresses or DNS names.
- Archiving is for Windows 64-bit operating systems only. Even if the feature is enabled, the Archiving button will not be displayed on unsupported operating systems.
How to configure Archiving
1. Click on the Archive button in the Redstor Pro ESE client.
2. In the Start Archiving dialog box that appears, click Configure.
3. Determine the criteria by which files will be archived. This can be done in two ways:
- By archiving only files that have not been accessed for a selected period of time, or
- By selecting specific folders.
Note: Exclusions can be applied to specific paths on the machine to prevent files from being stubbed.
4. Click OK to confirm the configuration. The Start Archiving dialog box will now show which paths have been set up and will allow you to start an archiving process, or to calculate savings from archiving on your local disk.
5. Click Start Archiving to initiate the archiving process manually from the user interface. Archiving will also run automatically on the last scheduled backup of the day.