With traditional recovery methods of large files (e.g. databases) from a backup server, you need to wait for all data to be restored completely before you can access a file. InstantData's innovative technology allows you to access your backed-up files almost immediately. Even if you have many large files, you can restore several of them simultaneously. Just drag and drop a set of files to their desired location and InstantData will do the rest.
- Rapid recovery time (low RTO)
- Recover to local disk or access files without requiring disk space
- Recover full servers into a bootable state
To learn how to activate InstantData, see Article 925.
InstantData can be used for data recovery in three ways.
1. To gain temporary access to your files
InstantData allows you to access your backups on a virtual drive created temporarily for this purpose. You can simply use Windows Explorer to browse to the file you need and double-click to open it. Click here for instructions.
2. To recover your files permanently
With InstantData, you can drag and drop the required files from the InstantData backup browser to Windows Explorer and start using them immediately. InstantData will restore the file sections that you are using first, while doing the rest in the background. Click here for instructions.
3. To recover an entire system
InstantData enables you to restore the data of an entire machine into a bootable virtual disk for use in a virtual machine. Click here for instructions.
Note: Since InstantData is a supplementary measure to recovering from a disaster, we recommending testing all disaster recovery steps before implementing them.
InstantData tips for backup administrators
- The InstantData app will handle connection breaks by automatically attempting to reconnect to the relevant StorageServer. Notifications appear in the system tray.
- InstantData will provide data compatibility feedback when accessing data that is not accessible through the app. Notifications appear in the system tray.
- All logs are kept under %AppData%\Roaming\Redstor Backup Pro\InstantData\logs
- Backup administrators can also use the command-line interface to automate certain tasks during disaster recovery. See InstantData: Command-line parameters for details.
Limitations of InstantData
- The InstantData button is only enabled in the Console for Enterprise Server Edition (ESE) backup accounts, and not for legacy SE and DL backup accounts.
- Only group administrators (or higher-level administrators) can open the InstantData app in the Console.