From v18.8, Redstor Pro allows you to back up tablespaces and associated data from Oracle databases. This is possible through the integration of Oracle’s Recovery Manager (RMAN) with Redstor’s technology.
When an Oracle database is selected to be backed up, RMAN first dumps it out. This dump is then backed up. The next time the database is dumped out, the files are simply updated (patched) instead of being overwritten in full. This feature of RMAN enables much faster backups.
Furthermore, if a file name changes from one RMAN dump to the next, Redstor’s systems will pick up those changes and patch against them. This means that even though a file’s name has changed, you will still have only patches between backups instead of a full file. Patching leads to significant space savings, as seen in one of our customer logs, for example, where 3.54GB was reduced to just 1.2MB.
Note: To back up Oracle databases through an ESE backup client, Oracle must be located on the same machine as the client. Archive log mode must also be enabled in Oracle.
How to back up
1. In the backup client, click the Oracle button in the left sidebar, then click Add a database.
2. Fill in the fields and click Add.
3. Select the databases/tablespaces you would like to back up by using right-click > Include.
4. Click the Backup button in the toolbar at the top.
How to restore
1. Since there is no Oracle button in the backup client's Restore tab, you will need to manually select the databases/tablespaces you would like to restore by using right-click > Include.
2. Click the Restore button in the toolbar at the top.
3. Continue the restore process in RMAN.