The backup fails with the following message:
ERROR : 11:07:18 Could not create snapshot for VSS writer 'System Writer' (0x800423f0; writer inconsistent snapshot). [Writer details: 44646f93-e813-2975-20e2-3a2550103ea5;45b32722-95dd-0aaa-c5ce-2bb7f53ca7ab;failed at prepare snapshot]
If debug logging is enabled, you may see a warning like the following:
WARN : 11:07:01 Network location '\\e-corp-file1\sharedservices' on VSS component '44646f93-e813-2975-20e2-3a2550103ea5\Win32 Services Files' is unsupported for backup
A service or application is installed on a network UNC volume, and the backup application is trying to perform a VSS snapshot on this volume so that the application executable can be backed up. However, VSS snapshots are not possible on UNC volumes.
The application or service needs to run on the local machine.
1. Backup the registry before proceeding. Then launch regedit.exe and export the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\.
2. Using regedit's search feature, search the registry for the invalid network location under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\. For example:
3. Locate the file (in this case robot.exe) on disk and copy it from the UNC share if necessary. It may also be found locally.
Note: Additional files may also be required locally if the executable has these as dependencies.
4. Make a note of the location where you have placed the application, e.g. C:\Fsoc\robot.exe.
5. Edit the registry key value for 'ImagePath' found earlier from 'ImagePath=\\e-corp-file1\sharedservices\robot.exe' to 'ImagePath=C:\Fsoc\robot.exe'.
6. Restart the system and test the backup process to see that it proceeds beyond VSS Snapshot creation. The process may need to be repeated several times if multiple applications are installed on network shares.