By installing the Centrastor device agent on a Windows File Server, shared folders on the local LAN can be made available to portal users from anywhere on any compatible device.
By making the synchronised folder a "project" on the virtual portal, access to Windows File Server content can be extended over the Internet to any portal user or invited collaborator. Simply, follow these steps:
- Install the device agent on the designated Windows File Server
- Synchronise the required folder(s) with the portal via the shell extensions or "settings" web page
- Use the "Invite team members" or "Share with Others" features to grant access to portal users
- Change the folder type to project
- Add the required individuals and/or groups to the project folder
Once the folder is available on the portal users can access its content from any web browser via the User Interface or smart phone/tablet running the mobile app. Uploaded content will be automatically synchronised to the Windows File Server and made available to local office users - provided the Windows folder is shared locally too.
Please be aware that this mechanism effectively circumvents Windows access control on the file server by extending the privileges of the Windows user running the agent service on the server to all portal users with access to the portal project folder. That is, write permission to the portal project folder means delete capability on the Windows folder via the synchronisation process. Please discuss further with a member of the Redstor Support Team before configuration .