It is possible to silently install Redstor Online Backup. Please note that this function is supported from version 7 onwards as there were known issues pre-version 7 with this functionality. Whilst Redstor Online Backup can be installed silently on a single device using the command line it is not necessarily the most efficient way of doing so. We recommend the use of a deployment tool like CentraStage to support the mass deployment of Redstor Online Backup silently in a few simple and repeatable steps.
For more information on this please review the information below which describes the silent installation process in more detail. There is also a video showing a practical demonstration of how deployment can be achieved using CentraStage.
Part One: Command Line Switches For Use With the Redstor Online backup .MSI File
The Redstor Online Backup MSI installer enables you to remotely deploy Server Edition and Desktop & Laptop Edition Backup Clients using your preferred desktop management solution, e.g. CentraStage. Use the Deployment Wizard to include the AccountServer and Group settings in the MSI. With these settings populated, you can specify that the Backup Account must be created automatically during the install process.
Use the following command to run the installer (ensure that you have administrator privileges):
If you do not wish to use the preconfigured AccountServer and Backup Group details, you can use additional parameters to override the default settings configured:
- SERVERIP – IP address of the AccountServer
- ACCOUNTNAME – Backup Account name
- ACCOUNTPASSWORD – Backup Account password.
Note: If you do not specify a Account password, a random one will be used.
- CREATEKEY – Backup Group Create Key
- ACCOUNTKEY – Backup Account encryption key.
Note: If you do not specify an encryption key, a random one will be used.
- GROUP – Backup Group name
Tips for using Environment Variables:
- You can use Environment Variables to supply the parameters listed above.
- Type “set” in the command prompt to view a list of variables you can use.
- You can use these properties as fixed values or use templates based on the variables (e.g. ./BackupClientFileName.msi PREPACCOUNT=Yes ACCOUNTPASSWORD=%USERDOMAIN%).
- You can also use a combination of variables (e.g. ./BackupClientFileName.msi PREPACCOUNT=Yes ACCOUNTPASSWORD=%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%).
The standard MSI parameters are also available. A few examples are:
- /help – Help information
- /quiet – Quiet mode, no user interaction
- /passive – Unattended mode, progress bar only
Example: To deploy the Server Edition Backup Client, run the following with administrator privileges:
...\A5BPSE5.0.msi PREPACCOUNT=YES SERVERIP=SERVERNAME GROUP=COLLECTION01\GROUP01 CREATEKEY=KEY021 /passive /quiet
- Redstor Online Backup will use the Windows Computer Name as the Backup Account name.
- The password and encryption keys are randomly selected during the Backup Account creation process.
- You are advised to install a Group Certificate to the specific Groups as the encryption keys are random. Without this certificate you will not be able to connect to a Backup Account to restore any data, should the computer crash. The password can be changed in the Storage Platform Console.
For more information please refer to the attached user manual regarding creating deployment files and use of the "Account Prep" function.
Part Two: Silent Deyployment Using CentraStage