This article applies to Windows 2008 & 7 onwards
The following is a brief step by step guide to performing Hyper V virtual disk single item restores.
- Restore vhd or vhdx file as a flat file or use virtual drive to present the virtual disk. For more information on using the virtual drive please refer to:
- From the command line (cmd.exe) open “DISKPART”
- The next step is to select the virtual disk for use. “select vdisk file="Path_To_VHD”
- Having selected the disk perform an attach command present the disk to Windows. “attach vdisk”
- The disk should now be mounted and browseable within the Windows OS. You can perform drag and drop restores or present file paths to applications etc...
- Once finished you can use the “detach” command to detach the virtual disks. Alternatively you can right click “eject” on the disk.