The following step by step instructions outline the process for conducting a seed backup (first time backup) using a USB or NAS disk device and is designed to negate the need for sending a potentially large backup over the internet in the first instance.
v14.x or higher Instructions
1. Define backup selection with the "Backup" tab.
2. Within the "Preferences" tab navigate to the "Seeding" menu and then specify the seeding path within the given field.
3. Having specified the path you can then click enable seeding. This will set the client in seeding mode.
4. At this point it will be necessary to manually initiate the seed backup by clicking the "backup" button.
5. Once the seed backup has completed please click "complete seeding".
6. Once complete disconnect the USB/NAS drive from the server.
7. Once disconnected please send the device to Redstor for upload. The address is Redstor Limited, St James’ Wharf, 99-105 Kings Road, Reading, Berkshire RG1 3DD for the attention of Support. A member of the team will confirm receipt of the drive and will inform you when the upload process has been completed.
Please note this process is supported for first time backups only in v13.x.
1. Firstly install the backup client software using Mac OS X package available from the downloads page.
2. Secondly open the backup client and set the backup selection.
3. Having done this please stop the BackupFP Daemon. sudo launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.redstor.BackupFP.plist
4. Edit the config.ini file to enable seeding mode by adding the following lines;
SeedingPath=/X/ (where X is the path to the target storage device)
5. Save the config.ini file
- 6. Start the BackupFP daemon. sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.redstor.BackupFP.plist
- 7. Start a manual backup using the ClientTool which can be found in the Applications/Redstor Online Backup Plus.app/Contents/MacOS/ folder with the following command. ./ClientTool control.backup.start
- Note: You can check the status of the backup using the following ClientTool command. ./ClientTool control.status.get