The purpose of an offline backup is to seed the first backup to the platform via removable storage (USB Device). The first (or seed) backup is typically the largest as it comprises of the entire data set to be protected with subsequent backups being incremental only sending the changes. This negates the need to send large quantities of data over the internet. The decision to use offline backups is typically taken when the estimated time taken to send the first backup over the internet exceeds acceptable limits.
v14.x clients or above
How to Perform the Seed Backup
1. Define backup selection with the "Backup" tab.
2. Within the "Preferences" tab navigate to the "Seeding" menu and then specify the seeding path within the given field.
3. Having specified the path you can then click enable seeding. This will set the client in seeding mode.
4. At this point it will be necessary to manually initiate the seed backup by clicking the "Seed backup" button.
5. Once the seed backup has completed please click "complete seeding".
6. Once complete disconnect the USB/NAS drive from the server.
7. Once disconnected please send the device to Redstor for upload. The address is Redstor Limited, St James’ Wharf, 99-105 Kings Road, Reading, Berkshire RG1 3DD for the attention of Support. A member of the team will confirm receipt of the drive and will inform you when the upload process has been completed.
v13.x clients only
In version 13.x offline backups are designed to be used on new accounts only.
How to Perform the Seed Backup
1. Please download and place the Client Seeding Tool on the USB device that will be used as the storage location for the seed backup.
2. Having placed the seedingtool.exe (and associated files) on the USB device please then open the backup client interface and prepare the backup selection. Once satisfied that all of the desired files and plugin data has been selected for backup please close the client interface.
3. Having selected files for backup run the seedingtool.exe from the USB device location. Follow the on screen instructions. Once started a progress indicator will inform you how the process is performing. Once completed the tool will confirm the seed process has completed and will advise you to disconnect the USB drive from the server.
4. Once disconnected please send the device to Redstor for upload. The address is Redstor Limited, St James’ Wharf, 99-105 Kings Road, Reading, Berkshire RG1 3DD for the attention of Support. A member of the team will confirm receipt of the drive and will inform you when the upload process has been completed.
If the seed data needs to be sent via a network share to a remote USB storage device, please ensure the following:
1. The seedingtool.exe is run from a UNC path (\\server\share) and not a mapped drive to the share. If you attempt to run the seedingtool.exe from a mapped drive this will result in a failed backup.
2. The client service account is changed from local system to a Windows domain administrator account with full privileges to read and write data to the share.
On Confirmation (from Redstor) that the seed snapshot backup has been successfully uploaded please do the following:
1. Please stop the backup service controller (within Windows services).
2. Amend the line within the config.ini file that reads “SeedingMode=1” to "SeedingMode=0".
3. Save the changes to the config.ini.
4. Please then start the backup service controller (within Windows services).
Subsequent backups will now be sent to the Cloud platform.