If you are experiencing issues installing a Windows ESE agent that was deployed from the RedApp, you can try the following troubleshooting steps.
1. Check the installation log
If an agent installation fails, you can find more information in the file logfile.log, located in the root of installation folder.
2. Check the antivirus and network settings
- Disable any antivirus or security software temporarily, as these are often what interferes with the installation process. Read more in Article 535.
- Ensure that you meet all Redstor Network Requirements.
3. Run the installation as an administrator
- Uninstall the failed ESE using Uninstall a program in the Windows Control Panel.
- Copy the agent installer file to a new folder. Do not install from the browser's Downloads folder.
- Right-click on the installer file and select Run as administrator.
- Make sure the Windows Installer service is running. Open the Services app and locate the "Windows Installer" service. If it is not running, start it by right-clicking on the service and selecting Start.
- Check the logfile.log in the installation folder to ensure that the account has been created successfully.
- If the installation did not work, check if there are any pending updates or installations on the machine. If so, finish these before attempting to install the agent again.
4. Use the command-line
If the ESE agent has installed, but has not created an account, or has not connected to an account, one of the following can be run from the command-line:
Create: C:\Program Files\Redstor Pro\Backup Client ESE\backupprocli.exe create_account -r tempaccountinfo.json
Reconnect: C:\Program Files\Redstor Pro\Backup Client ESE\backupprocli.exe reconnect_account -r tempaccountinfo.json
You may be prompted for an account name, which is usually the hostname.
The tempaccountinfo.json file referred to here is downloaded when the RedApp installer is run, and is usually deleted after a successful install. However, if the install has failed, the file will likely still be present and can be used to reattempt the install. See Using a response file in Article 1015 for more information.
Note: To reconnect to an account, you will need the relevant connection information, i.e. the backup group GUID and the account create key. These can be obtained in Redstor's Storage Platform Console by following the steps in Article 1416. The Storage Platform addresss should be sp.pro.redstor.com.