When configuring a Collection or Group in the Storage Platform Console, a Group Storage Limit can be set in two ways:
- Entering a specific GB size
- Using the "Automatic" setting (available from v17.8). This provides greater flexibility with managing complex Storage Platform hierarchies.
How it Works
- In principle, the total size of a series of Groups or Accounts contained within a Collection/Group is always limited to the amount set on the parent node.
- In addition, the maximum size that can be set for top-level nodes is subject to the Storage Platform's Activation limit.
Tip: To view the Activation limit in the SP Console, open the Storage Platform Configuration view, select the top-most AccountServer node, and open the Summary tab. View the "Maximum Allocation" value in the Activation Information section.
Contact Redstor Technical Support if you need the Activation limit to be adjusted.
Note: If this happens, refresh your Activation information: Open the Storage Platform Configuration view, right-click the top-most AccountServer node, click Advanced -> Update Licence Info.
Automatic Group/Collection Limits
When configuring a Group Storage Limit value on Groups or Collections, and "Automatic" is selected, the Group's limit is inherited from its parent.
Warning: This setting will not be accessible from SP Consoles on v17.7 or earlier. The setting will be shown as "0" on these versions.
The applicable limit will be either of these:
- That of the first parent node in the hierarchy with a specific GB value set,
- If no specific value has been set on any of the Groups/Collections, the abovementioned "Maximum Allocation" value of the Storage Platform's Activation will be used.
Unlimited Group/Collection Sizes: Group Storage Limits can be unrestricted but only if the Storage Platform's Activation is unlimited. Also use the "Automatic" setting for this.
Creating New Groups
When creating new Groups, their "Group Storage Limit" sizes will be inherited from the parent Group/Collection unless adjusted.
A Group cannot be moved into a Collection when doing so will exceed the Collection's "Group Storage Limit".