While adding a SIMS Server for backup, the ESE Backup Client is unable to connect to SQL server instance. The error displayed is also misleading: "We could not access the server with this username and password".
Note: Since v17.4 the error message has been amended to be more helpful and to refer to this article.
A Java exception is also visible in the backupservice.log file located in the ESE installation folder:
2017-03-21 15:08:45,218 ERROR CapitaSqlServerService - Could not connect to server 'com.attix5.capita.common.ServerName@851e3e6'
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The connection to the host WIN2K12R2SIMS, named instance SIMS failed. Error: "java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out". Verify the server and instance names and check that no firewall is blocking UDP traffic to port 1434. For SQL Server 2005 or later, verify that the SQL Server Browser Service is running on the host.
To establish a connection, the "SQL Server Browser" service must be running on the local machine.
Two workarounds are recommended below:
- Configure the SQL Server Browser service to start automatically
- Configure a static port for the SIMS' SQL Server instance
A. Configure the SQL Server Browser service to start automatically
- Open your Windows Services on the server where the SQL Server instance is running.
- Look for the "SQL Server Browser" service in the list. Double-click it to open its properties.
- The Startup type will be set to "Disabled". Change this to "Automatic" and click Apply.
- Before closing the window, click Start to ensure the service is started.
Attempt adding the SIMS server again for backup in the ESE Backup Client.
B. Configure a static port for the SQL Server instance
- Open the SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- Open the entry "Protocol for SIMS" under the "SQL Server Network Configuration" node in the left-hand pane.
- Double-click the "TCP/IP" entry in the right-hand pane. The TCP/IP Properties window will appear.
- Scroll down to the "IPAll" entry and update the "TCP Port" to a desired value e.g. "1235":
- Click OK to save the changes.
- In the ESE Backup Client, when reattempting to add the SIMS server for backup, specify the configured port in the Server Name field: