Storage Pools enable automated account moves between StorageServers on a Backup Pro Storage Platform, effectively balancing the storage load between the different StorageServers and reducing the administrative overhead involved with manual account moves.
Whilst these automated moves are highly effective for ordinary operation, you may encounter a scenario where you need to prevent accounts from being moved to a StorageServer, or empty the StorageServer completely, for example, if migrating or decommissioning server hardware, or if space is required to perform a large Snapshot import.
A. Preventing accounts from being moved to a StorageServer
To prevent accounts from being moved to a StorageServer:
1. Create a new Storage Pool (right click the name of the Storage Platform and choose Add Storage Pool).
2. Move the StorageServer to this pool using the Change Storage Pool option when right-clicking the name of the StorageServer.
With the StorageServer running in isolation in a Storage Pool, no accounts will be automatically moved to it.
B. Emptying a StorageServer
To empty the StorageServer:
1. Find the relevant accounts by using the "Accounts on SS" report on the StorageServer:
2. Right-click an account and select Change StorageServer:
3. In the window that appears, select the new StorageServer to move the account to, and click OK.
With the StorageServer running in isolation, no automatic moves will take place to re-balance the server as you empty it.
Tip: You can also move an account to a group configured to use a specific StorageServer that runs in isolation (as indicated above).