Redstor Pro offers two backup methods. You can configure your preference from the backup client by going to Options and Settings > Disk Usage.
For staged backup, data is written to temporary storage before being transferred to the Storage Platform. This enables the resumption of interrupted backups, but results in greater disk usage.
Streaming backup (SE clients only)
The streaming backup option causes data to be transferred to the Storage Platform without being written to temporary storage first. Streaming backup has the following benefits:
- Extremely fast (up to 75% faster than staged backups)
- Uses very little disk space (less than 0.01% of your data selection)
- Optimised for use in environments where bandwidth usage is not an issue, e.g. data centres
Streaming backup has the following limitations:
- Supports delta blocking only, not binary patching (which results in larger transfers)
- Does not support resumes
- Provides target deduplication only, not source deduplication
Using streaming backup disables certain options:
- Advanced Communications > Concurrent Transfer
- All patching options aside from mandatory patching (streaming backup only supports delta blocking)
- Advanced Performance > Backup Limit