It is possible to import or export backup client Snapshot data to a UNC path. This is useful if you are using a virtual machine or cannot connect a USB drive. Depending on the configuration of the systems involved, you may need to configure Snapshot Export, or Snapshot Import, or both.
Exporting a backup Snapshot to UNC share
1. Configure your temporary Snapshot UNC location, ensuring that it has sufficient space for your Snapshot.
2. Close the backup client and stop the service.
3. Change the service user to one that has full read/write access to the UNC path, as well as any files you have selected for backup.
4. Apply the changes and restart the service.
5. Open the backup client and navigate to Tools > Snapshot > Export Backup Snapshot.
6. In the Export Backup Snapshot dialog box, select The next backup must be a Snapshot backup and enter your UNC path into the Destination box. Click OK.
7. Manually initiate a backup or wait for the next scheduled backup to occur. If the user permissions for the UNC path are correctly configured, the Snapshot will be exported there.
Importing a backup Snapshot from UNC share
1. Before configuring your StorageServer, make sure you can access the UNC share from the StorageServer machine with a user with full read/write permissions.
2. On your StorageServer, stop the service.
3. Change the service user to one that has full read/write access to the UNC path, as well as full read/write access to the StorageServer working folders and data root path.
4. Apply the changes and start the service.
5. In the Storage Platform Management Console, right-click the name of the backup account that you wish to import a Snapshot for, and go to Advanced > Import Backup Snapshot.
6. In the dialog box that appears, change the Put the Backup Snapshot in the following location on StorageServer path to the UNC path, including the backup account GUID, e.g. \\Uncserver\SnapshotTemp\0d44b3c4-6fe4-49b3-ab2e-3333fd24ebba. Click OK.
7. The normal steps for Snapshot import can now be followed. The Snapshot import will begin either immediately, or when the next backup is received.