Ports other than the default 443 and 8443 can be configured for the AccountServer and StorageServer respectively. The ports are customisable in the following instances:
- Storage Platform configuration after installation
- Connecting to an AccountServer or StorageServer from the Storage Platform Console
- Changing the address or port of an existing StorageServer
- Creating Backup Client installers in the Storage Platform Console
Immediately after installation, on the Service Port Binding step of the Storage Platform Configuration Wizard, custom ports can be specified for both the AccountServer and the StorageServer.
- This option is only available if performing an Advanced Configuration.
- TCP port 443 is the default port for secure HTTP (HTTPS) and is often used by web servers to encrypt secure web traffic. As such, firewalls expect to encounter encrypted traffic on this port, and are more likely to allow it to pass unhindered. If installing to a port other than port 443, it is more likely that additional firewall configuration and explicit “permit” rules will be required.
- Whether you are installing to port 443 or to another port, a manual firewall exception is required in Windows to allow inbound traffic to your AccountServer or StorageServer.
The Storage Platform installer does not support multiple installations on the same server, e.g. installing a Slave AccountServer with the installer and then installing a StorageServer afterwards.
A manual installation has to be done in these cases by running the following in a command prompt for the installation of an additional StorageServer:
StorageServer.exe –Install –PublicIP=[IP address] –ServiceName=SS_Service2 “–settings.AdminPass=password” “–settings.StorageVolumes=E:\data path” “-settings.PublicPort=[Port]” –Start
where [IP address] is the required IP address and [Port] is the required port.Note: Do not place a “\” at the end of the data path, as this will prevent the StorageVolumes value from being set.
A single Management Console can switch between more than one Storage Platform. To add an additional Storage Platform to a Console:
- Open the Connections menu.
- Click Add Storage Platform.
- In the dialog box that appears, enter the IP address of the relevant AccountServer.
- If the AccountServer was installed with a port other than the default, append the IP address with the custom port number, e.g: 192.168.21.127:441.
See Article 519.
An AccountServer on a port other than the default will also affect future backup client deployments created from the Console. While running the Deployment Wizard, in the Backup Account and Connection Details dialog box, append the custom port number to the IP address in the Storage Platform address field, e.g.:
Old Article ID: 269
Posted: 12 Sep, 2014 by Du Plessis S.