Ensure that you have read through the version release notes (here) prior to upgrading and understand the impact of the release.
To prepare for the installation:
- Disable Client Updates before upgrading to prevent upgrades running before the process is complete.
- Disable the��Auto-update Backup Client��setting on the AccountServer (using the Storage Platform Console).
- Set each backup group's��Auto Update Backup Client��to �?oNo�?�.
- On each AccountServer and StorageServer, make a copy of the��C:\ProgramData\Attix5 Pro\��and��C:\Program Files\Attix5 Pro\Storage Platform\��directories.
Note:��If the StorageServer is using the default��C:\ProgramData\Attix5 Pro\SS_Service\Data��as the backup data location, this "Data" folder should not be copied.
- Using SQL Management Studio, connect to the AccountServer�?Ts SQL Server and run database backups of the��StoragePlatform��and��StoragePlatformReports��databases.
- Download the Storage Platform installer for the new version from��partners.redstor.com/. Copy this onto the AccountServer.
- Also download the relevant brand's Backup Client Updates files and copy these to both the Master and Slave AccountServers.
- It is also worth downloading the Storage Platform Console installer of the appropriate brand.
To install the new version:
- Run the Storage Platform installer on the AccountServers to upgrade them.
- After the AccountServer installation is complete, log in to the Storage Platform Console and navigate to the��Help -> Manage Updates��menu.
- A web browser window will open. (If prompted, enter �?oadmin�?� for username and the master password.)
- Tick the��Update��boxes next to the Storage and Mirror Servers to upgrade them, and click on��Upgrade��to initiate the automatic upgrade process.
- Alternatively, the Storage Platform installer can be run on each StorageServer and MirrorServer manually (this will be more time consuming).
- After the StorageServer upgrade has completed, run the Backup Client updates on both Master and Slave AccountServers.
- Re-enable automatic updates (previously disabled in preparation) to force the client machines to download the new software.
Tip:��Enabling automatic updates can be done one group at a time e.g. to stage the process over a few days.
The following components will experience downtime:
- Each component server will experience a short period of downtime during the upgrade as services will stop and restart.
Tip:��This downtime is usually less than 1 minute. To minimise disruption, upgrades are best performed outside of the main backup window i.e. best run after 09:00 and before 19:00.
- A connection error may be shown on a client if any backups are taking place, but backup clients will retry if they have sufficient connection retries.
- Cancelled mirrors and cancelled rollups will resume automatically.
- Client updates require no downtime as the client upgrades itself after a backup has completed (successfully or otherwise).
In the unlikely event that a downgrade of a Storage Platform is required, provided that the pre-installation steps have been followed, the instructions are as follows:
- Delete the��C:\Program Files\Attix5 Pro\Storage Platform��folder and replace with the copy taken prior to upgrade.
- Delete the folders in��C:\ProgramData\Attix5 Pro\��and replace with the copy taken prior to the upgrade.
Note:��Should a client downgrade be required, the client updates can also be manipulated to downgrade the software. Attix5 will assist if this action is required.
Post Installation Steps
After the upgrade has completed, you may need to do the following:
- Upgrade any Storage Platform Console installation to the new version.
- Create new Backup Client Installer MSIs for Windows clients of the new version (using the��Deploy��function on the Storage Platform Console).
- Update any download links with the new versions (including Mac and Linux) and also update your SE plug-in installer download link to the new version. This step will be particularly relevant for resellers as end customers will not have partner section access download the software directly.
Old Article ID: 290
Previous Views: 744
Posted: 02 Feb, 2015 by Du Plessis S.