The instructions in this guide show how to configure the Deployment Wizard to create a custom MSI that will automatically create a Backup Account on the Storage Platform when installed on the Backup Client machine.
Customisations of this type are of great use when rolling out Backup Clients within large environments.
Note: The Backup Client wizards will be skipped with the below options set, so their customisation is not featured in this guide.
On the Storage Platform, create a Backup Group called "Installs" and add the desired number of Backup Client and plug-in licenses to the Backup Group. Set an appropriate Group Storage Limit, and Default Account Size.
- Right-click the Installs Backup Group and click Deployment Wizard. The Deployment Wizard will launch.
- Select the Show Advanced Options check box and select the appropriate version (DL or SE) and architecture (32-bit or 64-bit). If multiple versions are required, the deployment should be run multiple times with the different options selected.
- Confirm that any new Backup Accounts created with this MSI will use the Backup Client machine�?Ts ComputerName for the Backup Account name (this is the default).
- Specify the default backup time.
- Continue through the normal options for Filter and masks. Note: This can be useful for specifying documents that should be included when performing silent installs.
- If any file types should not be backed up, add the relevant exclusions.
- It is possible to perform a completely unattended and silent installation. However, you will have to use Filters and Mask or Profiling in the Storage Platform Console to automate the inclusion files/folders for selection. Select Not be visible (silent install) to use the silent install option.
- Note: When moving a Backup Account between Backup Groups, the profiled selection and settings may be changed or removed depending on the profiled settings of the destination Backup Group. Ensure the destination settings are appropriate before performing any Backup Account moves.
- Set Optimisation settings appropriate for your environment so that best use of bandwidth and disk can be made.
- For a Backup Account to be created automatically, the PREPACCOUNT option needs to be set. The Backup Account password and encryption key should also be specified in the Custom MSI Installer properties.
- Important note on security: If you are not comfortable with passwords and encryption keys being stored in the MSI, these can also be randomly generated. Simply omit the details from the Custom MSI Installer properties field. If you do decide to randomly generate the encryption key, ensure that you configure a Group Certificate and recover the encryption keys as described in the Storage Platform Console User Manual. If you do not recover your encryption keys, you will have no record of your encryption keys, and will be unable to reconnect to your Backup Accounts.
- Note: The password must be a minimum of 4 characters and the encryption key must be a minimum of 8 characters. Other options are available within the deployment help. Add the following lines:
- By supplying a custom a5backup.properties file, you can configure more Backup Client options. You will find examples in the Custom Backup Client options section below.
- Click Build to create the MSI.
- When created, the Backup Client MSI should be copied to a directory on the Backup Client machine with the Plug-in Installer if deploying a Server Edition Backup Client.
- Run the client MSI, and when complete, launch the Plug-in Installer to add any required plug-ins.
- The Backup Account will be created when the MSI completes the installation. Backups will then be attempted as determined by the backup schedule.
Note: If there is no backup selection included in the MSI, backups will not run. You'll need to perform either of these steps for backups to run:
The backup selection will automatically be updated from profiling when the initial backup runs.
Custom Backup Client options
The following settings can be added to a custom a5backup.properties.
Note: If supplying a custom a5backup.properties file, note that the settings will take precedence over any conflicting settings configured in the Deployment Wizard.
Tip: It is advised that you test each new option individually to ensure that no conflict occurs with the Deployment Wizard.
Default daily automated backup schedule
Important Note: Due to a known issue the Advanced Schedule cannot be set in an advanced deployment if used together with the silent install /PREPACCOUNT option. To work around this issue, the advanced schedule can be set after installation using the CLI.
For example, from the installation directory run:
cli.bat :schedule set Monday 15:00,16:30,17:15
The command can be repeated for different days of the week, eg
cli.bat :schedule set Monday 12:00
cli.bat :schedule set Tuesday 12:00
cli.bat :schedule set Wednesday 12:00
The advanced schedule is automatically enabled when these commands are used, and does not need to be specifically set.
Email Notification settings (Note: The SMTP authentication password needs to be in hashed format, and can be copied from a working installation)
notify.append.suffix=encountered, Please check Log
Remote Management Settings
Abort backup if free space falls below 1 GB (The default is 10 GB which may be a little high in some cases)
Transmission retry settings
Old Article ID: 221
Posted: 01 Mar, 2013 by Flood A.